I am Pontus Stenetorp,* a researcher and educator that finds Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning research to be fascinating. The widely-adopted text annotation and visualisation tool brat is one of my creations and since 2012 a majority of my work has been on representation learning (Deep Learning) for natural language.
My current research focuses on end-to-end models that learns with a minimal amount of human supervision – with a particular focus on allowing computers to pass real-world exams – and is supported by the Paul G Allen Family Foundation. If you share any of my research interests, do have a look at my list of publications and if you have questions regarding my research, feel free to contact me. I also teach and supervise student research projects in my area of expertise, but do contact me well in advance of any project application deadline since I can only accept a limited number of students each term and the slots tend to fill up quickly.
Currently, I am a Senior Research Associate at University College London (UCL) and a member of the Machine Reading Group lead by Reader Sebastian Riedel at the Department of Computer Science. I received a PhD from the University of Tokyo in 2013 and a MSc Eng from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in 2010. In my spare time I contribute to the Julia programming language community, read plenty of books, and enjoy being a mediocre amateur photographer.
* Technically my name is Pontus Lars Erik Saito Stenetorp or 西東 ステネートルプ ポントス ラース エリック, but buy me a drink some time and I will tell you all about how I ended up with possibly the longest name in Japan and what it does to your average company customer database.
- Sonse Shimaoka, Pontus Stenetorp, Kentaro Inui, Sebastian Riedel. Neural Architectures for Fine-grained Entity Type Classification. April 2017.
- Guillaume Bouchard, Pontus Stenetorp, Sebastian Riedel. Learning to Generate Textual Data. November 2016.
- Hubert Soyer, Pontus Stenetorp, Akiko Aizawa. Leveraging Monolingual Data for Crosslingual Compositional Word Representations. May 2015.
- Pontus Stenetorp. Transition-based Dependency Parsing Using Recursive Neural Networks. December 2013.
- Pontus Stenetorp, Sampo Pyysalo, Goran Topić, Tomoko Ohta, Sophia Ananiadou, Jun'ichi Tsujii. brat: a Web-based Tool for NLP-Assisted Text Annotation. April 2012.
|Aug 7th-11th '18:||Organising JuliaCon in London, England, UK.|
|Feb 7th '18:||Speaking at BBC Blue Room Presents: Machine Learning Fireside Chats in London, England, UK.|
|Feb 2nd '18:||Speaking at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.|
|Dec 22nd '17:||Speaking at the Tokyo Institute of Technology in Tokyo, Japan.|
|Dec 21st '17:||Speaking at the University of Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan.|
|Dec 19th '17:||Speaking at the RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (AIP) in Tokyo, Japan.|
|Dec 18th '17:||Speaking at Tohoku University in Sendai, Japan.|