I am Pontus Stenetorp,* a researcher and educator that finds Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning research to be fascinating. The widely-adopted text annotation and visualisation tool brat is one of my creations and since 2012 a majority of my work has been on representation learning (Deep Learning) for natural language.
My current research focuses on end-to-end models that learns with a minimal amount of human supervision – with a particular focus on allowing computers to pass real-world exams – and is supported by the Paul G Allen Family Foundation. If you share any of my research interests, do have a look at my list of publications and if you have questions regarding my research, feel free to contact me. I also teach and supervise student research projects in my area of expertise, but do contact me well in advance of any project application deadline since I can only accept a limited number of students each term and the slots tend to fill up quickly.
Currently, I am a Senior Research Associate at University College London (UCL) and a member of the Machine Reading Group lead by Reader Sebastian Riedel at the Department of Computer Science. I received a PhD from the University of Tokyo in 2013 and a MSc Eng from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in 2010. In my spare time I contribute to the Julia programming language community, read plenty of books, and enjoy being a mediocre amateur photographer.
* Technically my name is Pontus Lars Erik Saito Stenetorp or 西東 ステネートルプ ポントス ラース エリック, but buy me a drink some time and I will tell you all about how I ended up with possibly the longest name in Japan and what it does to your average company customer database.
- Sonse Shimaoka, Pontus Stenetorp, Kentaro Inui, Sebastian Riedel. Neural Architectures for Fine-grained Entity Type Classification. April 2017.
- Guillaume Bouchard, Pontus Stenetorp, Sebastian Riedel. Learning to Generate Textual Data. November 2016.
- Hubert Soyer, Pontus Stenetorp, Akiko Aizawa. Leveraging Monolingual Data for Crosslingual Compositional Word Representations. May 2015.
- Pontus Stenetorp. Transition-based Dependency Parsing Using Recursive Neural Networks. December 2013.
- Pontus Stenetorp, Sampo Pyysalo, Goran Topić, Tomoko Ohta, Sophia Ananiadou, Jun'ichi Tsujii. brat: a Web-based Tool for NLP-Assisted Text Annotation. April 2012.
|Aug 7th-11th '18:||Organising JuliaCon in London, UK.|
|Sep 25th-27th '17:||Google Natural Language Processing Summit in Zürich, Switzerland.|
|Sep 21st '17:||Speaking at BenevolentAI in London, UK.|
|Sep 14th '17:||Artificial Intelligence in Bioscience Symposium in London, UK.|
|Sep 7th-11th '17:||EMNLP in Copenhagen, Denmark.|
|Sep 4th '17:||Speaking at the London Enterprise Tech Meetup in London, UK.|
|Sep 4th-8th '17:||Data Study Group: Health & Well being in London, UK.|